Skip to main content

My First Python Program

I am very glad today. Because I finally wrote a python program all by myself. I am programming for about 3 years. Of which 2 are using C++ (Old standard and using Turbo C++ IDE ver 3.0 and yet to master Templates and STL. [:-p]) and After starting python using Dive into Python an excellent book by Mark Pilgrim during my 1st year summer vacation, and I only completed Data Structure section. Then I found an excellent Java tutorial by Sang Shin and obtained a certificate by completing First and basic course in Java.

Now I am working with My Friend to develop applications in java. We established a web site already. He started programming when he is in 10, ie. more than 2 years of experience. He has Visual Basic too in his side. Now he is doing with JSP and I am concentrating on Python, Ruby (yet to start) and CSS.

Today My pleasure is that I completed a python program myself. Which is asked to do in 'A byte of Python' by Swaroop.C.H. Which is a command line program; and helps us to organize and store our contacts. But I found many Optimizations, that can be possible, when I wrote the code.
But I decided to do it later and possibly with another version number. It's licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License.

All your suggestions are welcome. Also if there is any errors that I don't found, but your seasoned I found and any improvements; all are valuable to me. After a certain period I'll put this into my site.

you can download the sources:
source
and the book it self.
A byte of Python
**************************************************************


Creative Commons License
contact manager by Arun.K.R is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Correct way to structure your Django 1.4 projects

PS: This post is written assuming you're familiar with Django and at-least have some basic experience trying to set-up a Django project (for learning or for some cool project). Purpose: To show how to properly set-up your Django1.4 project after seeing other developers getting it wrong (seen it wrongly structured by my mentee, senior developers and junior developers at my firm.). Django 1.3 Project structure: Initial structure followed by two apps added to the project. Refer above picture, where I shown a Django < 1.4 project structure. (I know, at least Django 1.2 & 1.3 follows this structure). First tree view is of the initial structure that you will get by calling $ django-admin startproject Proj Take a note that manage.py, settings.py, urls.py are in the main folder. Following  tree display is after creating two apps named app1 & app2. You'll do it as follows $ ./manage.py startapp app1 $ ./manage.py startapp app2 Those apps are c

AJAX File Upload with Web2py

It was not that long, since I experienced a problem while trying to upload a file using an ajax  trapped form. I thought, it must be me doing something wrong. I was using web2py  to embed another page into a page via ajax. That is better known to web2py folk as LOADing a component. It's just happened that one of such component contains a file upload form. It was my first time using LOAD function provided by web2py. Basically it make use of jQuery to load the page via ajax into a target div and traps input of any form in that page, so that page doesn't reload. Oh, I forgot to say that web2py is bundled with jQuery. It's always boring and tedious to understand a problem without experiencing it. So, Let's play with an example, (PS: I"m using web2py a full stack python framework, but you can use any language at server side and this problem will be there because, it's a problem with ajax) My model which defines table like this, In RDBMS world, it column 

Set difference: Data provided from two big files with one number at a line

Today, I had to find out difference between two huge lists of numbers. Numbers are 17 digits long and list are of around 1 lac. PS: I'm documenting both versions here for my future reference. I used python, because diff doesn't felt good for me. because it will print both ins and outs of both files. Also, I ruled out diff's possibility, because I didn't felt it will work at that time. Later, at home: I give diff a try. Yes, it's not that beautiful as in python. I'd cut and sed a bit. But still, it's a "one liner" and I like 'em a lot.