Skip to main content

My Conky Configuration File

Edit :                        (Aug 17, 2013)
All my configurations including conky's are now hosted at https://github.com/kra3/dot_files



I've been hearing about this conky for a long time.
I think I tried it once in my 5 years of linux experience.
But, I haven't experienced it till last day.

Conky is a system monitor originally based on torsmo! What the heck is this "torsomo"?
Honestly, I don't know. Le me google that for you....

Torsmo is a system monitor that sits in the corner of your desktop. It's very simple, customizable and it renders only text on the desktop (and percentagebars if you want it to ;) and the only lib it uses is Xlib.
Torsmo can show various information about your system and it's peripherals, including:
  1. Kernel version
  2. Uptime
  3. System time
  4. Network interface information
  5. Memory and swap usage
  6. Hostname
  7. Machine, i686 for example
  8. System name, Linux for example
  9. Temperatures from i2c-sensors
  10. Temperature from ACPI
  11. Battery capacity from ACPI/APM
  12. Number of processes running or sleeping
  13. Local mails (unread and all)
  14. Filesystem stats


 Enough, right?
Ok, Now what's conky?

Conky seems to fit in the same reign as of torsmo, but with more awesomeness, customizability and lots of inbuilt variables(almost 300) to access almost all features of system. Even bindings for POP, IMAP, music players like mpd, moc, audacious...
You can use Lua scripts to customize it and use cairo to draw whatever way you wish...

Enough said, I don't need another resource hog, well, you are wrong, conky is designed to be lightweight. 

search gnome-look.org for conky themes various configurations. 

OK, Now goes my custom conky configuration file. I customized it the last day.
You can mix and match it however you like it.
You can see the result here.


Looks nice, how can I try this,

All that's easy, if you are on linux.

See conky documentation on how to install it on your system.

After that install .conkyrc from here

And place, ".conkyrc" on your home directory.

More on readme file.

Comments

  1. You have again started making your linux eye-candy?.
    Anyway looks good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @sandeep:disqus: No more eye candies.
    Did a lot of that while using P4 and 512 ram.Now I've C2D and 4gb. But I'm also going to be a sys admin ;-)So, even compiz is in bare minimum (no fire, rain, explodes, .., bla bla bla )And, Conky is for system monitoring. (for my purpose) and you should also try it. It's light weight and scripted to suit your needs.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Correct way to structure your Django 1.4 projects

PS: This post is written assuming you're familiar with Django and at-least have some basic experience trying to set-up a Django project (for learning or for some cool project). Purpose: To show how to properly set-up your Django1.4 project after seeing other developers getting it wrong (seen it wrongly structured by my mentee, senior developers and junior developers at my firm.). Django 1.3 Project structure: Initial structure followed by two apps added to the project. Refer above picture, where I shown a Django < 1.4 project structure. (I know, at least Django 1.2 & 1.3 follows this structure). First tree view is of the initial structure that you will get by calling $ django-admin startproject Proj Take a note that manage.py, settings.py, urls.py are in the main folder. Following  tree display is after creating two apps named app1 & app2. You'll do it as follows $ ./manage.py startapp app1 $ ./manage.py startapp app2 Those apps are c

AJAX File Upload with Web2py

It was not that long, since I experienced a problem while trying to upload a file using an ajax  trapped form. I thought, it must be me doing something wrong. I was using web2py  to embed another page into a page via ajax. That is better known to web2py folk as LOADing a component. It's just happened that one of such component contains a file upload form. It was my first time using LOAD function provided by web2py. Basically it make use of jQuery to load the page via ajax into a target div and traps input of any form in that page, so that page doesn't reload. Oh, I forgot to say that web2py is bundled with jQuery. It's always boring and tedious to understand a problem without experiencing it. So, Let's play with an example, (PS: I"m using web2py a full stack python framework, but you can use any language at server side and this problem will be there because, it's a problem with ajax) My model which defines table like this, In RDBMS world, it column 

Set difference: Data provided from two big files with one number at a line

Today, I had to find out difference between two huge lists of numbers. Numbers are 17 digits long and list are of around 1 lac. PS: I'm documenting both versions here for my future reference. I used python, because diff doesn't felt good for me. because it will print both ins and outs of both files. Also, I ruled out diff's possibility, because I didn't felt it will work at that time. Later, at home: I give diff a try. Yes, it's not that beautiful as in python. I'd cut and sed a bit. But still, it's a "one liner" and I like 'em a lot.